Boone Special Collections and Archives: Reproduction and Publication Policy
- All requests for reproduction of materials, whether by personal photography or scanning,
are contingent upon approval by the librarian after assessing the condition of materials.
- Unless otherwise approved by Special Collections staff, any images of collection materials
are for personal research use only. Provision of images does not constitute permission
to publish, or copyright permissions. If you would like to publish an image of an
item from the collection, please see “Publication of Images” below.
- If approved by Special Collections staff, users may take non-flash photos of collection
materials with their personal cameras for research use.
- Digital scans are available upon request for flat documents and photographs smaller
than 8.75” x 12”, for 35mm film negatives, and for slides. Most books are generally
not able to be scanned due to the stress on the spine of the book, with the exception
of modern books in good condition as determined by Special Collections.
- All scanning will be completed by library staff.
- Scans are provided as 600 dpi tiff files, unless requested otherwise.
- Scans will be delivered through an online attachments account. If a data CD is required
by the requestor, additional fees will apply (see below).
- Scans will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. While deadlines will be
accommodated as much as possible, please allow up to two weeks for delivery.
- Scanning requests by Pepperdine users (faculty, staff, students, alumni, members of
the Board of Regents, and university departments) are generally provided free of charge.
The department reserves the right to charge fees for large projects when necessary.
- Scanning requests by non-Pepperdine users are subject to the following fees, payable
by cash or check made out to “Pepperdine University Libraries”:
- $10 set-up fee, including one image
- $2 each additional image
- $5 CD (when applicable)
- $5 domestic shipping, $20 international shipping (when applicable)
Publication of Images
Permission to Publish Application Form
- Please request permission to publish images of special collections materials by filling
out the Permission to Publish Application Form.
- Publication for which permission is required may include, but is not limited to, use
of images in films, books, journals, posters, décor or display, and on the Internet.
- Permission will not be required for use of images in theses or dissertations unless
the thesis or dissertation is scheduled for publication and distribution.
- Publication fees for use will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Special Collections staff with inquiries.
- Please be advised that materials may be subject to copyright. Pepperdine University
does not make any representations or warranties regarding the copyright status of
any items in its library system. The applicant is responsible for determining the
copyright status of any such materials, and in all cases of copyrighted materials,
for securing any necessary permission from the copyright owner. The University reserves
the right to require proof of such permission, or proof that such permission is not
legally required, before copying or releasing a copy of any item.