Special Collections and University Archives
Malibu Historical Collection
The Pepperdine University Libraries have established the Malibu Historical Collection as a repository for documents related to the history of the City of Malibu and its residents. The goals of this collection are to collect, preserve, catalogue, and exhibit materials related to the history of this region, thus making them accessible to a global audience.
As a part of Pepperdine University's Special Collections and University Archives, the Malibu Historical Collection benefits from the department's commitment to the care and accessibility of materials through programs and events, many of which have been specifically related to Malibu. The Malibu Historical Collection is a growing collection of historical materials, and we welcome donations that fit our collection scope.
The goals of the collection are:
- To tell the story of Malibu – its history, heritage, and people.
- To create a repository for papers, videos, oral histories, photos, books, and artifacts.
- To preserve the legacy and history of Malibu through the care of trained professionals.
Current collection highlights include:
- Malibu Times newspaper (1946-present)
- Malibu Times photographs
- Malibu Surfside News newspaper (1973-present)
- Rindge and Adamson Family Papers
- Lani Netter Collection of Malibu Photographs
- Webster Family Papers
- John Mazza Collection of Historic Surfboards
- Historic books related to Malibu and its residents
- Eric Wienberg Collection of Malibu Matchbooks and Postcards
- Charles Marowitz Collection of the Malibu Stage Company
- Malibu Property Ownership Record Books and Real Estate Property Indexes
- Malibu Association of REALTORS, Inc. Records
- Malibooz Collection
- Audio recordings of Malibu-related lectures and events
- Oral histories of long-term Malibu residents
Scanned items from several of these collections can be found in the Pepperdine Digital Collections.