Pepperdine Libraries Student Assistant
Payson Library – Malibu Campus
The Payson Library seeks energetic service-oriented students to join the team. Faculty, staff, and students depend upon local library services, interlibrary services, and resource sharing to support their research and educational needs. Library student workers play a key role in helping the Library achieve these goals. The Library supports the research and instructional needs of the campus community. Library operations encompass a wide variety of activities that range from shelving library materials and basic data entry to complex office/business activities and public service. Library student workers support these activities as well as provide the majority of staffing on weekday evenings and weekends.
For student assistant positions at our Graduate Campus Library locations, please contact the appropriate Campus Library for additional information.
To apply for a position at Payson Library, please complete the online application.
Research and Reference Librarian - Natural Sciences Liaison
Payson Library – Malibu Campus
The Research and Instruction Librarian – Natural Sciences Liaison provides research support for faculty and students, teaches classes in information literacy, and, in consultation with faculty and other vested partners, recommends scholarly materials in the natural sciences for addition to the general and reference collections.
- Provides research assistance to Payson Library users through the following tasks: Demonstrates a strong customer service attitude. Works assigned shifts on the public service desk assisting patrons (including some weekend and evening hours). Offers in-depth research assistance to the natural sciences faculty and students. Works collaboratively and independently in a fast-paced environment. Stays abreast of current trends in the field.
- Provides information literacy instruction: Assists in planning, conducting, and evaluating a program of orientation, instruction, and assessment for students, faculty and staff at Payson Library, congruent with ACRL Guidelines and other best practices regarding information literacy instruction. Instructs library users in information seeking research skills using both print and electronic information sources. Creates Infoguides to support specific classes, subjects, and initiatives. Develops tutorials as needed. Learns and applies emerging technologies in library instruction and research services.
- Participates in collection development activities: Contributes to the ongoing development of the general and reference collections. Serves as subject specialist and liaison to the Natural Science Division of Seaver College, and actively curates these collections to be relevant to and aligned with the teaching, learning and research needs of the college.
- Other projects and duties as assigned: Contributes to long- and short-term planning for the Pepperdine libraries. Engages in research and publishing according to guidelines set forth in the Librarians' Handbook. Serves on library and university committees. Participates in professional development locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Uphold University mission through work performed.
- The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
Required: An M.L.I.S. or similar degree from an ALA-accredited school. Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. An appreciation for and commitment to the University's Christian mission and a desire to contribute to that mission.
Preferred: An undergraduate or graduate degree in science or equivalent experience preferred.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening.
This is a librarian, exempt, 40 hours per week position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience