Borrowing Privileges and Responsibilities
The purpose of the policy and regulations outlined here is to provide optimum use of the Pepperdine Libraries collections for students, faculty, and staff.
- Please do not give your library card to others to check out library materials.
- Materials checked out in your name are under your care until they are returned to the library.
- When materials are due, please return or renew them on or before the due date.
- We thank you for reporting lost items, including your library card.
Libraries Responsibility (Confidentiality)
The Libraries will not release personal borrowing information to any other individual or organization unless required to do so by law or by University policy.
Privileges & Regulations
Pepperdine Students, Staff, and Faculty
Your Pepperdine ID Card is your library card. To check out materials from the Pepperdine Libraries, you must present your valid Pepperdine ID card at the Circulation Desk.
- Please obtain your Pepperdine Alumni Card from the Office of Alumni Affairs before visiting a library.
- Alumni members must agree to comply with all library regulations.
- Crest Associates may register for borrowing privileges at Payson Library Circulation Desk by presenting a valid Crest Associates card and a picture ID (e.g., driver's license).
- Associates must register in person and agree to comply with all library regulations.
- The registration procedures must be repeated annually to renew library privileges.
Friends of the Library
- California residents who are interested in borrowing books from the Pepperdine Libraries are welcome to join Friends of the Library.
- Please present your "Friends of Library" card and a picture ID (e.g., driver's license) to the Circulation Desk to register for borrowing privileges.
- The application procedure must be repeated annually to renew library privileges.
Dependents of Faculty and Staff
- Dependents of Pepperdine employees may apply for a Dependent ID Card at the University's Human Resources Office.
- Please present the Dependent ID Card and a picture ID (e.g., driver's license) to the Circulation Desk to register for borrowing privileges.
- Dependents must register in person and agree to comply with all library regulations.
Loan Policies for Library Materials
* Members of the Pepperdine Alumni Association, currently registered Crest Associates, Friends of the University Library, and dependents of faculty and staff.
|Materials||Undergraduate Students||Graduate Students||Faculty||Staff||Other borrowers*|
|Books||3 weeks, may be renewed twice (if no holds are placed).||2 months, may be renewed twice (if no holds are placed).||4 months, may be renewed twice (if no holds are placed).||3 months, may be renewed twice (if no holds are placed).||Up to 5 books at any one time for 3-week period, may be renewed twice (if no hold are placed).|
|Laptops & Chargers (Payson)||1 day (on premises)||Not Available||Not Available||Not Available||Not Available|
|Phone Chargers||1 day (on premises)||1 day (on premises)||Not Available||Not Available||Not Available|
|Leisure Reading||3 weeks, 1 renewal (If no holds are placed).|
|DVDs||1 week, 1 renewal (if no holds are placed).|
|CDs||3 weeks, 1 renewal (if no holds are placed).|
|Reserve Materials||Instructor-assigned reserve materials are available with a restricted loan period and if specified are to be used in the library only.|
|Non-Circulating Materials||Reference Collection, Special Collections, Microform materials, and Periodicals are non-circulating.|
Please note that staff members who are enrolled at Pepperdine University's graduate or undergraduate programs shall observe the loan policies that are set for students.
Returning & Renewing Materials
Library materials must be returned or renewed on or before the due date. As a courtesy, an overdue notice is sent to the borrower's e-mail account after the due date. All borrowers in whose name library materials are charged are responsible for these materials until they are returned.
Telephone renewals are allowed when staffing levels permit. To renew books, please call your branch library and speak with a Circulation staff member.
Renewal will not be accepted under the following circumstances:
- The item is overdue.
- The item has a hold.
- The item has been renewed too many times and has exceeded the limit.
- The item has been placed on reserve.
- The borrower has been billed for replacement of a long-overdue item.
Holds can be placed on most items. When the item is available, it will be placed on the hold shelf, and you will be notified by e-mail to pick up the material within 2 weeks. If there are multiple requests for a single item, they will be honored in the order received.
Lost, Damaged, or Long-overdue Items
Lost or damaged items must be reported promptly. The Borrower is responsible for replacing or paying for the lost or damaged books or DVDs. The replacement cost for each lost or damaged book or DVD is the price of the item, if available, or the standard charge of $75 for a book and $15-$65 for a DVD. Specific replacement costs for each lost item is detailed in the table below.
Damaged equipment--such as an iPad with a cracked screen or a charging cord with frayed housing or a 360 camera with a dent or scratched lens --will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. A Borrower may replace a lost or damaged item with a duplicate copy acceptable to the library (or unit, such as the Genesis Lab) from which it was borrowed.
Costs for Lost Materials from the Circulation Desk
|Material Type||Replacement cost (minimum)|
|Books (monographs)||Price of the item if it is available or $75 if it is not available|
|DVDs||Price of the item if it is available or $15-$65 (depending on DVD type).|
|Reserve Materials||See Course Reserve Policy|
Costs for Lost Materials from the Genesis Lab
|Material Type||Replacement cost (minimum)|
|Ricoh Theta S||$350.00|
|Ricoh Theta SC||$350.00|
|Ricoh Theta Stick TM-2||$75.00|
|Insta360 One X||$500.00|
|Insta 360 Bullet Time Accessory||$75.00|
|Oculus Quest 2||$700.00|
If materials are not returned 30 days from the due date, the borrower will be notified with an e-mail. Failure to return materials within 30 days after the due date will result in the Borrower being billed for replacement cost and borrowing privileges being suspended. Return of the material will cancel the replacement bill and borrowing privileges will be reinstated. Costs for students will be processed through the University's Student Accounts.
The replacement charge may be canceled if an item is returned before a replacement has been ordered. If such return occurs 3 months or more after the date of billing, the entire cost may be assessed.
Suspension of Services
Failure to return overdue items or outstanding debts to the Libraries will result in the temporary revocation of all library privileges until the items are returned or the debt is resolved.
Faculty Proxy Privileges
Faculty members may designate a research assistant, or other proxy, to perform certain library-related functions on his/her behalf (e.g., checking out library items, requesting ILL items, etc.). To request proxy privileges, please call or email your branch library and speak with a Circulation staff member. Please note that proxy privileges are granted for a period up to a year and faculty members will be solely responsible for the materials that are charged to their account.
Payson Library has a number of laptops available for loan to students at the Circulation Desk. Students will be required to present their University ID card upon checkout.
We will hold your ID until you return it to the Circulation Desk. Laptops may not leave the library.
Eligibility for borrowing
All Pepperdine students who are library users in good standing (no outstanding fines, no overdue items, and no liabilities of $100.00 or more) may borrow a laptop. Borrowing a laptop is based on a first-come, first-served basis.
The loan process
- Laptops are loaned out at the Circulation Desk.
- Once you present your valid University ID, the laptop will be checked out to you.
- You will receive a laptop computer.
- If the machine is damaged, your library borrowing privileges will be suspended and you will be charged for the repair or replacement of the laptop.
- If the laptop is not returned, sanctions will be applied in accordance with the Library's Policy on Overdue or Lost Material. Your Library borrowing privileges will be suspended and you will be charged for the full replacement cost of the laptop ($1,700.00).
Laptop loan policy
Laptops must remain within the Library and are loaned out for up to a day. Renewals and reservations are not permitted. At the end of your loan period you must bring the laptop back to the Circulation Desk in person. Upon returning the laptop, please allow 5 to 10 minutes while Circulation staff check-in the equipment.
Responsibility for theft or damage
You are responsible for theft or damage. For your own security, please do not under any circumstances leave a laptop unattended. You are responsible for the full replacement cost of $1,700 for the laptop checked out to you.
Genesis Lab Checkout Policy
Technology + Equipment Available for Checkout
- Google Cardboard (x 17)
- Ricoh Theta S 360 Camera
- Ricoh Theta SC 260 Camera
- Ricoh Theta Stick TM-2 (x 2)
- Insta360 Nano Camera
- Insta360 One X Camera
- Insta 360 Bullet Time Accessory (selfie stick + tripod)
- Oculus Quest 1 [requires approval]
- Oculus Quest 2 [requires approval]
Checking Out and Returning Items
Genesis Lab technology and equipment is available for checkout during operational hours, Monday through Friday, 11 am to 4 pm.
Items may be returned to the Genesis Lab during operational hours or to the Payson Library Circulation Desk during library hours.
Please DO NOT return items to the outdoor book drop.
Borrowing Privileges and Responsibilities
Who can check out technology and equipment from the Genesis Lab? Pepperdine faculty, staff, and students may borrow available technology and equipment from the Genesis Lab. Your Pepperdine ID card acts as your library card.
When you borrow an item from the Genesis Lab, you agree that:
- You will not give your library card to others to check out materials.
- Materials checked out in your name are under your care until they are returned to the Genesis Lab.
- When materials are due, you will return them on or before the due date.
Loan Policies for Genesis Lab Materials
The standard checkout time for all of our equipment and technology is 1 week.
Extended checkouts may be allowed with permission from the Director of the Genesis Lab. If you would like to request technology for a time period longer than one week, please use the Genesis Lab Technology + Equipment Request form. Priority will be given to academic uses of the technology. If you are a student, you will need to list a faculty or staff member as your sponsor for an extended checkout.
Anyone looking to checkout the Oculus Quest or Oculus Quest 2 should submit a request via Genesis Lab Technology + Equipment Request form. Checkouts of the Oculus Quest or Oculus Quest 2 must be for an academic purpose. If you are a student, you will need to list a faculty member as your sponsor in order to check out the Oculus Quest or Oculus Quest 2.